Thursday, April 10, 2008

Meatballs and gravy

This is something I always made my mom make when I would go home! I NEVER thought I could do it. Turns out I can and it is easy. I hop everyone enjoys!

You will need:
*Hamburger meat ( I use about 2 1/2 lbs., my husband can eat!)
*1 egg
*flour
* beef bullion (granules are easiest)
*salt and pepper

First mix you hamburger meat with the egg, salt and pepper to taste. Once that is mixed together well add your flour, you will want to add enough to make the meat stick together. I don't know exactly how much but i would start with about 1/2 a cup. Then you will roll meat mixture into little meatballs, I usually use a tablespoon to measure the amount.(You can make them larger or smaller) once you have rolled the balls you will put them into a skillet, an electric one if you have it, let them brown in their own grease until all sides are brown. You will need to make sure and turn them often so they don't stick! Once all sides are browned good remove them from the grease leaving only enough to mix some flour with. Mix some flour and some beef bullion together and add water. Again I would start with about 1/2 a cup of flour, you may need to add more to thicken or add more water to thin it out! Add the beef bullion to taste. Once you have the gravy the way you like it, add back in the meat balls cover and simmer for about 30 min. Make sure to check on them so that the gravy won't get too thick.If the gravy does get too thick just add a little more water!!
This is a great comfort food for me! I like to serve it with mashed potatoes and a vegetable. I am sorry that I don't have exact measurements but like most family recipes nobody has ever actually measured the ingredients! I hope you all enjoy, and feel free to ask any questions!!

1 comments:

John said...

MMMMMMM....sounds so tasty! Gonna try it!